Monday, April 23, 2007

ICE


I've seen a few posts on Pistonheads.com asking about how people have fitted their component speakers, so I thought I'd show how I did mine!

I fitted a set of 5.25" Focal V Slims to the front, the main units fit perfectly in the standard holes, I did have to drill new holes for the screws but apart from that straight forward. The crossover got secured to the inside of the door panel. The 1" tweeters were fitted to the top of the door card facing the front seats.

The rear speakers used to be a set of JBL 6 x 9" units when I bought it, these were fitted to a piece of MDF covered in the same carpet as the interia. Given that it used to take up all the room behind seats I decided to get rid of it. A couple of screws later and it was out. In there place I got a couple of Infinity 5001i units, these are fitted in the air vents on the rear bulkhead, I used a couple of 1" square blocks of wood on each speakers as spacers, so that the vents still did there job and the speakers pointed in the right direction.

The bass is sorted by fitting a slim line Alpine SWD-1600 subwoofer behind the passenger seat, always makes the ladies smile...dunno why ;)

I swapped out the head unit for another Pioneer model (DEH-P5600MP), the main reason is that I could still use the existing CD changer in the boot. I also bought an extra unit so I could use the AUX input on the HU, this means I can plug in my mp3 players or TomTom.


OK a lot of people say that I should be listening to the cars V8 soundtrack, but if I'm just pottering around town I like to have something to sing along to :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me.
Thanks a lot!

my weblog :: Marlene